Starting today, many Target stores will carry Amazon Kindles. If you've been thinking about getting one, here is your chance to give it a hands-on test drive (or test read, as the case may be). If your Target doesn't have them in yet, they will within a few months.
You can drop it in the big red Target cart and start reading books as soon as you unload your groceries, or you can save a few dollars in sales tax and go home and order it from Amazon.
Why get a Kindle?
- Amazon's famous customer service. Download a book by accident? Just return it within 7 days for a refund. Cat knock your Kindle off the counter and break the screen? Call Amazon and find a new Kindle on your doorstep the next morning. (Free. True story.)
- Read comfortably on the non-glare screen in full sunlight (unlike the iPad, which you can't see at all in the sun).
- Carry up to 1500 books, with you everywhere
- Lighter and more comfortable than a paperback, you will rediscover the joy of reading and if you're like me, you'll end up reading faster.
- Over 500,000 books available through Amazon and other sources. No wi-fi or 3G charges to download anywhere in the world through Amazon's network (unlike the iPad, where you must be in a wi-fi hotspot or pay a monthly fee for 3G coverage).
- Download samples of books before you buy. The samples are always considerably more than I would read if I were standing around in a bookstore browsing through books.
- Go green, and stop filling your house with stacks and shelves of books which just sit there.
- Read your favorite magazines, newspapers, and blogs, all updated automatically.