Kathy over at Mama's Losin' It has a set of suggested writing prompts for today. I picked "10 Things I love about football."
There's just one catch. I don't watch football. Haven't seen a game in years. That doesn't stop me from loving it though. Here are my 10 reasons why:
- It's a great excuse to sit down and watch television on Sunday afternoons. While I can hear the neighbors cheering on the home team, I am having an equally enjoyable time catching up on Downton Abbey episodes. I don't feel guilty for being unproductive in the middle of a weekend day - everybody is!
- Even though I graduated from college many years ago, I maintain bragging rights to my alma mater's football team. When they're winners, obviously I'm a winner. When they lose I just don't bring it up.
- Having gone to plenty of games in the past, I now know exactly how long 100 yards is. This is actually pretty useful. Whenever some measurement is mentioned in a large number of yards, I compare it mentally to a football field.
- There are a lot of great tailgate and football party food recipes on Pinterest. There's no law that says a particular dip can only be used for a football party. When cooks get creative, everybody wins!
- Football pants. I might have to endure replays on the nightly news, but I don't always mind so much.
- We Americans stubbornly insist on calling our game football, when the rest of the world has a game they all call football and we call soccer. I love that we're just contrary like that.
- Fewer crowds at the mall on game days. The big crowds are all down the street at the stadium.
- Special game-day sales. These run the gamut from shish kabobs to electronics. Nobody requires you to show proof you actually watch the games in order to get the discount.
- "Football widow" events. My local yarn shop hosts a big knit-in on Super Bowl Sunday every year, with refreshments and sales. Count me in!
- Last but not least, I can go through the checkout line at the supermarket with a huge bunch of chips and snacks and drinks and guacamole and nobody bats an eye. Because of course, I'm just getting ready for the game.
Day 8 today for the Harry Potter quilt show and tell.